Monday 1 June 2009

G'Day from Down Under!

Well, here I am! I arrived safely, although mega tired! I don't sleep on planes and this time was no exception! I tried my best - but it was no good. I got a taxi to the hotel (it was 7.30 am on a Saturday morning after I had set off on Thursday evening at 5.30pm - how mad is that?), and we were nearly involved in a car accident, we were two behind the car that must have skidded in the rain and hit a barrier. Looked right a right off to me. Hope they're okay, as the taxi driver reversed out of the traffic jam and carried on his way, so I don't know!

I've arrived three days earlier than Phil and Richard (My colleagues) in order to do a little sight seeing. After checking in, I went to have a look around Sydney Harbour (my hotel is literally on the harbour front - I mean, you can see the Sydney Harbour Bridge from my hotel room - how cool is that!) and it really is stunning - the Opera House and Bridge in it's full glory! Got LOADS of pictures which I'm sure you will be begging me to stop showing you when I get home. Found a little market in the Rocks (the oldest part of Sydney and really the Birthplace of Modern Australia, as this is where the first settlers landed back in...along time ago.) and bought myself a gorgeous solid silver ring as a way of a memento of my trip. Went back to my hotel room and thought I'd have a little nap... when I woke up it was 5.00 on my watch, but I didn't know which 5.00 - am or pm? It was just getting dark - or just getting light, and I was completely confused 'till about an hour later when I ventured into the lift and the Date and time was displayed. Jet lag really does do funny things to you - I really would have believed you if you told me it was 5am on Sunday morning - or 5pm Sunday night, as it felt like I had slept forever!

The next day I went to Sydney Wildlife World, and did something I have always wanted to do... have my picture taken with a Koala! I've had them put onto a disc so I can put them on here when I get home too - can't wait to show you - they are sooo cute! Also spent time with Kookaburra's, Kangaroos and Possums, plus load of other animals from all over Australia. They are kept in surroundings which reflect their natural environment, and the enclosures were pretty big too, so they got my seal of approval.

This morning I went to get a closer look at the Sydney Opera House, and of course took some pictures in colour and black and white for some good ol' scrapbook pages! Also took the ferry to Darling harbour and walked back. I feel like I've walked for England this last two days!

Richard and Phil arrive tomorrow, and it will be great to see them and talk to a familiar face. Everyone is very friendly here, but it's nice to share an experience with someone you know isn't it? Then it will be up to Brisbane on Wednesday for work, and I'm really looking forward to it! Apart from a bit of colouring on the plane, I haven't done any craftig since Wednesday last week and I'm craving a bit of stamping, cutting and sticking!

Anyhoo, I'd better get gone and get ready for dinner... see you all later - next time with pictures!

Love, Clare x

13 comments:

Jo Austin said...

Great to hear you arrived ok... Glad you liked the Rocks and Darling Harbour. Isn't it lovely down there!

Enjoy the rest of your time there.

did you manage to find the icecream man??

Kath Stewart said...

Oh I bet you are just having a ball....in beautiful Sydney...haven't you found any craft shops yet...can't wait to see all your pics when you get home
Big Hugs Kath xxxxx

Martine said...

Oh wow clare, sounds like you are having a fabulous time, looking forward to seeing some piccys :)


xx

Martine

Kim Dellow said...

have a fabulous time. Kim

Anonymous said...

Ooooh I seriously envy you lol! It's amazing how what starts as a hobby can bring you across the world! Wish we could see the piccies now, xx
Love Rachel

Cazzy said...

Australia sounds lovely, and how nice to have some you time before starting work.

Cazzy x

Merry said...

Great to hear you are doing so much in your couple of spare days....sounds like you are having a ball.

Ruth Philps said...

Sounds like you're having fun..fun..fun!!! The rocks are fab for shopping but did you find any craft shops??????
Enjoy the rest of your holiday oops I mean work time!!

Ana Baird said...

can't wait to see the pictures Clare. Take care.

Wiccababe said...

sounds fab Clare, am sure we won't get bored of your pics - have a great time in Brisbane
xx

ButterflyBeadwear said...

Sounds like to are having a fab time. Those animals sound so cute-can't wait to see the pictures!! I think there are ment to be some great crafting shops in Aussie too. Wish I was there with you!!
Have a great time.
Tammy x

Sarpreet said...

glad to hear you have arrived safely. We wont stop you posting your pics! have a lovely safe working holiday, love to hear about it when you come back.

~Emma~ said...

Hi Clare. Fantastic blog! Its ok for some having some sun in OZ...its piddling down in Scotland!
Hope you have a great time. Hugs Emma.x