Sunday 1 February 2009

Boo Hiss!

After such a lovely weekend, I was in the foulest of foul moods this morning. The Reason? Comet - the electrical retailer!

After our hotel stay (where I sufficiently embarassed David by asking the waiters to sing Happy Birthday whilst bringing out a "chocolate orange" cake), we popped to Comet to pur-chase an external Hard Drive for my laptop. David quite rightly was getting a bit worried that I hadn't backed up my memory and if something corrupted my memory, precious pictures and documents would be lost forever. My question is, do you need to back up the back up, and how long could this quandry carry on for?

So, with hard drive safely tucked under arm, we travelled the 15 miles home only to find that the USB cable and instructions were missing. They had displayed an empty box, and obviously only filled the box with the hard drive and power cable. I wasn't very happy, especially when I tired to phone them and found that the only number availabe was a central number, with no chance of being able to get through to the store. So, I travelled the 30 mile round trip, just to collect a USB cable and instruction book. It has definitely taught me a lesson, I will always check all components are included before setting off home next time!

Tonight therefore I will be saving all my documents etc to the hard drive, what fun!

Back tomorrow with a project.

Love, Clare x

10 comments:

Marcea said...

drives you mad doesn't it - but at leaat now you can back everything up though. Know what you mean about backing up back ups .... I keep thinking I should have another one, lol ... think I am insane, lol
Glad you had a nice break though
-x-

Emma said...

Hi Clare,
Oh I would have been furious and asked for a discount to cover petrol costs and time. Bloody idiots...they should check all contents GGGGGGrrrrrrr
Have fun this evening!!!! Lol
Emma x

Craftyrose said...

Hmn had similar experience with Comet but hey just this week they packed up and left town.........No comet!!

clare said...

glad to hear you both had a great weekend and that you got everything sorted in the end.
have a great night saving..lol
hugs clarex

Katie Berberich Handmade said...

I'm just like you Clare, the thought of loosing my precious photos would finish me off. My laptop is quite slow now because of all the pics so my husband did what you are doing and put all pics onto the external drive. He then said i have to delete the originals from the computer, well, i haven't! My excuse being "What if the harddrive breaks, or is nocked on the floor by the kids"
It doesn't bare thinking about!!!
I also have back ups on cd/dvds :)

Sunshinecoastgrl said...

Hi Claire ...LOL I learned that lesson the hard way too!!... And I am sure you will love your external drive ...I really love mine... many more pics stored with no fear of losing them!!! Cheers Colleen

Nikki Fairbairn said...

Hi Clare, Glad you had a great weekend away and so sorry to hear about your purchase problems. If it makes you feel better we never have any luck with electricals. Our machine is now really slowing due to all the 1000's of pics so must get one of these real soon, Big Hugs, Nikki x

Kath Stewart said...

why oh why can we never buy anything nowadays that is right...drives me insane
Hugs Kath xxxx

Mina said...

AAAARRRGGGHHHH dont things like that drive you crazy...it happened to me at Ikea, set of tools and fixings missing...not too bad you think but the Ikea was in Newcastle and I live in Northern Ireland and didnt discover it until we got home...I do what you said always now...just in case xxx

Mina said...

AAAARRRGGGHHHH dont things like that drive you crazy...it happened to me at Ikea, set of tools and fixings missing...not too bad you think but the Ikea was in Newcastle and I live in Northern Ireland and didnt discover it until we got home...I do what you said always now...just in case xxx