Sunday 22 February 2009

Penny Black Feel better Soon and Friday Sketch Challenge

I thought I would take a little break from working on my cards for the magazine over the weekend and do a little crafting for myself. I'm very lucky to do what I do, and I love everyminute in my little room playing with scrumptious goodies, but sometimes it's nice to kick back, join in a few challenges and use something that you choose.

So off I went, scouring blogs for a challenge - and I found two! first stop was the ubber talented Kath where I spotted the Penny Black Challenge - week 37. I have about 100 penny black stamps that never get used (and are my pride and joy), so I thought this challenge would be an excuse for me to dust tem off and get inking! The challenge is to create a get well soon card (apparently the second most popular shop bought card).
Then, I went window blog shopping for a sketch challenge to go with it, just to give those little grey cells a rest. I found the perfect one at Prairie Paper and Ink by Amy Rysavy! Click on the sketch to be taken straight to the post.








This is my take on both challenges:


I used Penny Black Framed Flowers, a relitively old PB design (2003), but I absolutely love it! And it's the first time it has seen ink too! I stamped the outline with Colorbox Dark brown fluid chalk and quickly embossed with clear powder. I then used my gorgeous vivid inks as a watercolour medium to colour in the image, taking inspriation from the fatastically talented Christine (Sketching stamper), and her very informative video on how she colours in images. Colouring is one of, of not my favourite technique when crafting, I find it sooo relaxing! The circle background to the greeting is also a penny black stamp (dot - lined) and is also an ink virgin! The greeting is MFT.

Supplies:
Stamps: Penny Black Framed Flowers, dot - lined, MFT Bunny Slippers, Inks: Colourbox fluid chalk in dark brown, Vivid inks in Beach Glass, Turquoise, Tuscan Tan, Brown, Olive , Vintage Green and Black. Papers and Cardstock: bazzil in light tan and dark brown, SEI Granny's Kitchen Vinyl Chair and Oven Mitts, Embellishments: Ribbon from stash, WE R memory keepers Nonsense Glitter Brads.

I really hope you like it as much as I enjoyed making it! Thanks for coming to visit!
Love, Clare x


21 comments:

Diane.W. said...

Gorgeous card,I like the PB floral stamps too :O)x

Mrs Wonka said...

Ohhhhhh this is yummy. I love it!

Marcea said...

Wow Clare, this is a real beauty of a card. It is so nice when you get to choose what to do, there are so many chalenges we never get time to do. Thanks so much for joining us this week on PBSC - enjoy the rest of your weekend
-x-

Kath Stewart said...

Hi Clare...Welcome to PBSC and so glad you decided to join us....what a fabbylicious card...gorgeous colour work and thanks for joining in the fun this week at PBSC....we hope to see you back often.
Hugs Kath xxxxx

Mina said...

wow this is gorgeous Clare...i love the colouring on the flowers its so rich and love the circular message xxx

Anonymous said...

It's a gorgeous card, the colours are fab together. Its a good idea to do something you want for a change, after all you have all those lovely suppllies . Believe it or not I just bought my first 2 Penny Blacks! I can't wait til they arrive now lol.... Rachel xx

SallyB said...

WOW. I didn't know that about get well cards being the second most bought card.I'm going to have to make some quick. I love Penny Black and did the sketch last week so I hope to do this one.
Beautiful turquoise flowers Clare!

Nikki Fairbairn said...

Gorgeous card Clare, love the image and the beautiful dp. Hugs Nikki x

tracie said...

Hi Claire, welcome to PBSC glad you joined us with your fabulous card, wow I love it. This stamp is gorgeous and love the colours ~ stunning !!
Thanks for joining us this week at PBSC, hope to see you again
Hugs
Tracie :)x

Lynsey said...

Clare this is such a beautiful card!
Hugs Lynsey:)

Vee said...

Gorgeous card Clare, I love this stamp and the colours you have used are so rich looking.
xx Vee

Jane said...

A really lovely card, I love the flowers.

Jane :0)
xx

Pauline C said...

Hi Clare - so glad you were able to take a break from your design work and found us - what a stunner of a card! I have not seen that particular vintage PB stamp before - it is beautiful and I adore how you have coloured it. That's the beauty of PB's - so much variety - so many stamps, so little time lol! Thanks for joining in the PBSC this week and hope tos ee youa gain soon
Pauline x

Crafting Diva said...

Wow Clare stunning card, Love the image and the colours you have used on the flowers.

Lisa Olson said...

Ooo this is fantabulous Claire I really love this design.

Carla D said...

This is an amazing card!

Beth said...

Wow! This is stunning! I love the gorgeous image and your fab colouring! Thanks for joining the PB challenge this week!
Beth xx

Erin said...

How beautiful! I love the florals!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card! I love the way the blue pops out at you. Very pretty!

AmyR said...

Well done! And FABULOUS coloring! Thanks for playing along! :)

Rachel said...

This is BEAUTIFUL!! love the colors!